Re: making a spectacle of yourself

  Louie, the DBeam is an ir midi controller found on some Roland products
and supposedly, lately available by itself as well.  The MC-505 which I
use, has one which I use to send midi note messages to pitch loops I've
created with the Repeater.   So, I can create a loop, and then use the
DBeam to play a theremin-like solo with the loop itself as the changing and
evolving tone.   Does this make sense?
  When one moves their hand or any body part over the controller along the
ir beam itself, midi messages are sent based on your position in the beam.
So, if you move your hand along the beam, the midi messages will change
accordingly.  You can also set the DBeam to send notes within a given scale
or key, and target it's range to make it very easy and intuitive to work
with.   In this way, you can then send pitch data to the Repeater, and
modulate a loop's pitch within a scale to play a solo with it while it
loops or is even being recorded.  It's pretty amazing, and lots of fun!
<smile>  You might want to also see  Rick Walker's recent  review of the
First Women's Looping Festival where he mentiones it.
  If I get a minute this weekend, I'll post a sample mp3 to Bret's Loop
Music group files section of me doing this for the First Women's Looping
Festival.
  Oh, on the subject of the files section, Bret, make me a list mod, and I
can open the files section to non-members.   -Or, if you feel adventurous,
I believe it's under the settings link for the list.
  anyway, Louie, thanks for the interest.  If you like this sort of thing,
you might want to search on DBeam, and I'll also look up the name of the
company who makes it and post that to the list, K?  Have an awesome
day!...

Smiles,

CQ

At 06:37 AM 10/18/02 -0700, you wrote:

>  Hi CQ,
>sounds interesting!
>Can you develop more on this? what is a D beam and how
>do you manipulate the loops?
>Thanx
>louie
>

>Of course, when I use something neat like the DBeam
>> controller to pitch a
>> Repeater loop, or improvise dance or movement to
>> music, it's fun and
>> important, and  involves the audience more.  The
>> performance is an
>> experience for everyone, the audience and the
>> performer...
>>

>> Smiles,
>>
>> CQ

>> folktunes/songs with just
>> approach in a  very detailed
>> freedom to really work on
>> more complex the music your
>> longer it will take to become
>> For me the consequence will
>> believe this way IŽll naturally
>> looping.
>> >

>> >I think this is interesting. I only really started
>> to tour reasonable sized
>> >venues around Europe with a seven-piece jazz-folk
>> band playing complicated
>> >stuff in odd time signatures (5/4, 7/8 etc). It was
>> where I had to learn
>> >about stagecraft at the next level from
>> pubs/college clubs. I dont remember
>> >having to concentrate on getting the music right
>> being a problem, ; all down
>> >to being rehearsed properly.
>> >
>> >I do agree that having a complex set up can get in
>> the way. One reason why
>> >i'm reluctant to take out my rack is the fact that
>> it can look cluttered,
>> >and because I haven't found my own way to make this
>> interesting visually.
>> >Therefore, the DL4 gets more use than the
>> JamMan/RDS. I'd love to know how
>> >other people have found a way to incorporate their
>> gear into their
>> >performance in a way that looks interesting to the
>> audience.

>> ---
>>
>>   "The only things I really think are important, are
>> love, and eachother.
>> -Then, anything is possible..."
>>
>> http://home.earthlink.net/~thefates
>>
>> Please visit The Guitar Cafe.

>=====

>Faith Hill - Exclusive Performances, Videos & More
>http://faith.yahoo.com

---