Re: REASONable software looper question

Just to clarify, Recycle is NOT included in Reason unless you're getting
some sort of special bundle. Reason does include a module called Dr. Rex,
which is a loop player for playing the loops you create in Recycle. Recycle
itself is a really simple app in comparison to Reason. All it does is read
wave or aiff files and allows you to "slice" the beats and trim up your
loop. It can autodetect these beats, or you can slice them yourself, or you
can divide by eighth notes. Before you save it to a .rex or .rx2 (stereo)
file, you have to set the original tempo and number of measures I think...
something like that. You can also add a few very basic effects to the loop
before you save it, the most useful being the compressor/limiter/gate. The
best feature of Recycle is that you can timestretch your loop by creating
or
removing time between the slices, with no effect on pitch. Recycle is not a
performance application, it's merely an intermediate tool for creating
loops
for use in Reason or compatible samplers. Yes, you can dump from Recycle to
your hardware sampler if it's supported. I have had zero luck dumping them
to an EDP, but it wasn't essential at all for me. As for what happens next
in Reason, you load the sample in Dr. Rex and each slice will be assigned
a different note. You can then add more effects to the sample, and sequence
either the whole loop or resequence the loop itself note by note (slice by
slice). Recycle is limited in its functionality, and it's not compatible
with MacOS X.

I would like to suggest an alternate but similar and more relevant product,
it's called Ableton Live. Live has pretty much all the functionality of
Recycle, but with a built in sequencer/arranger. It can read wav and aiff
files, and I think it either has or will have mp3 support. You can edit
loops, add VST effects, group them for triggering, and arrange them
on-the-fly using drag and drop. Live also has Rewire support, which means
you can specify an active session of Reason as one of your input sources.
It
has MIDI In/Out support so you can use your keyboard to trigger loops or
groups of loops. Finally, you can quantize down to 32nd notes, and Live is
smart enough to correct the timing of your key presses. I think Ableton
Live
would be the most appealing product of the three to you, although Reason is
pretty badass in general just for all its different sequencers and
synthesizers.

-- Matt