Re: for TERJE RYPDAL fans

Rick-o-rama,

In a message dated 10/28/02 9:27:42 PM, GLOBAL@cruzio.com writes:

>Hey Ted, I love Terje Rypdal myself too. I remember a wonderful
>track he did called 'Better off without her' years ago, where he
>played a solo up high on a FENDER 6 bass and then as the solo
>progressed he descended deeper and deeper, hitting notes never
>heard on a guitar. Because he was using distortion and starting
>high, it sounded just like a normal guitar solo and was really
>shocking and exciting as he kept going lower.

Yep. The track is "Better Off Without You" on Rypdal's 1975 album
"Odyssey". Cool track. It's also on ECM's Terje Rypdal "Works" CD
from 1985. I was not aware that the bass playing was Rypdal's
on that track. I'd always sortta figured it was whoever his bassist
was (Sveinung Hovensjų). He often gave sidemen lots of room to
contribute. Interesting . . . I learn something new every day.

Yes. I wrote in my reply this afternoon to: jimp@pobox.com

>>. . . It's a line from a Latin mass, and a number of composers
>>have done settings for it -- the most famous of which is probably
>>Gyorgy Ligeti (who's piece was used in Kubrick's "2001, A Space
>>Odyssey" film). My title was a deliberate play on the line from
>>the mass and Ligeti's title, but I changed "lux" to "flux" -- making
>>it not "eternal light" but "eternal change." So, you could say I
>>stole the idea too . . . at least partly . . . in a way . . . :-)

>A truly great piece of music!!!  So eery and evocative.

Yes, and I guess despite being a non-Catholic, I am in my own funny
way drawn to the "spiritual language" of the liturgy of the Roman
church that "Lux" comes out of" in ways that some of my more
"church damaged" catholic and ex-catholic friends find amusingly
naive. I'd like to think that it's merely that I lack their painful
baggage and can respond to it as "art" or "poetry" and have a
genuine sense of the "otherness" of it that they no longer are
able to have because of a lot of ugly history. But I guess this
is a looping forum so I better keep my non-musical commentary
short. Western culture's triumphs are so often cheek-by-jowl with
its failures -- so much so that they are hard to see for what they
are sometimes.

Ligeti's work is a modern masterpiece, bracing, intense, powerfully
evocative (as you said). Interesting selection for Kubrick to make
for that scene wasn't it? But it worked wonderfully in the film.

I'm looking forward to Rypdal's own version (supposed to be out in early
November in Europe). Who knows when it'll hit stateside. I've ordered
a few things directly from ECM from time to time -- the exchange
rate is a killer though. Then there's shipping, taxes and customs
duties etc. And then it doesn't come exactly "quickly" either.

Cheers,

tEd ® kiLLiAn

http://www.mp3s.com/tedkillian

http://www.pfmentum.com/flux.htm