Re: Critics!

<<That was one of J.D. Considine's "Short Takes"
mini-reviews, actually the shortest one he ever
wrote.  Years later he apologized, saying it
wasn't quite that bad, but that the opportunity
was too good to pass up.

No such claim was made for his review of the Yes
album "Talk" [reprinted here
in its entirety]:

"Shut up.">>

Well, of course, he'd say that. He's a tin eared
record critic. It's seems almost a pre-requisite
for being a record critic that you not actually
know anything about music. I think Mr Considine
is the one who needs to shut up!

<<My all-time favorite review was from the late,
lamented Musician magazine, for the band GTR
(Steve Hackett and Steve Howes pretty
atrocious post-yes/Genesis band): SHT>>

I've forgotten where I saw the review, maybe it's
the one you're thinking of, but the review went
on for like a paragraph, and then finally
concluded with "TTL SHT". There was a good review
of a Man Without Hats album in Musician that went
thusly: "You can dance if you want to, but you
probably won't".

But I think the best review I've ever seen, and
again, another example of how short sighted most
music critics are, was for the first Uriah Heep
album, I believe, published in Rolling Stone. It
was actually a conventional review that went on
for several paragraphs, most of which I've never
had a chance to read, but the opening sentence is
an oft-quoted item when refering to how hard rock
and metal in general (and Heep in particular)
been raked over the coals by the critics: "If
this band makes it, I'm going to have to kill
myself". Thanks for being completely clueless,
man! How's that janitorial job working out for
ya?

=====
May you never thirst!
The Scuba Diver Presently Known As Chris

"What do you get when you give a yo-yo to a flock of flamingos?"-James
Earl Jones