Re: VCS3

<<> The drum solo on Groon, from King Crimson's
   EARTHBOUND, is processed
   > through an EMS Synthi100.

 i'm afraid not.

it was processed through a VCS3 operated by Pete
Sinfield. a Synthi 100 would not have fit in
Crimson's tour van.>>

Actually, it's not Sinfield. By the time of the
US tour that Earthbound from which Earthbound was
recorded, Sinfield had left the band. I believe
on that tour, it's actually Hunter McDonald
operating the VCS3. This is also how they got the
distortion on Boz's voice on 21st Century
Schizoid Man (and presumably, also on Greg Lake's
voice on the studio version).

That was one of the cooler things about old
analog synths from that era, that they could be
used as effects devices for processing other
audio signals. From what I understand, this is
also how Pete Townshend got the keyboard sound on
Won't Get Fooled Again...it's actually an organ
processed through the VCS3, and Brian Eno used to
appear on a lot of records basically just
processing the other instruments through his
VCS3.

I know the Mini-Moog also allowed you to do this
(though you only had the one low pass filter to
work with there), and I remember someone telling
that all the old modular synths permitted this as
well. It's nice to see that a lot of the current
wave of virtual analog synths are offering this
option again.

Up until a few years ago, Doug Walker of the NYC
based band Alien Planetscapes still used his VCS3
in live performance (I guess he started having
technical problems with it, and has since
replaced it with virtual analog equipment).

=====
May you never thirst!
The Scuba Diver Presently Known As Chris

"What do you get when you give a yo-yo to a flock of flamingos?"-James
Earl Jones

Yahoo! - We Remember
http://dir.remember.yahoo.com/tribute