DP+Repeater (was: Digitech gnx 3)

> Since you own both a Repeater and an EDP, I'd be interested
> in hearing how you use these two devices: How do you use them
> the same?  How do you use them differently?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bill

Hi Bill,

I mostly use them as a combo with EDP sending midi clock out and
Repaeater following (timestretching loops on the fly).

I'm using the FBC1010 to control one EDP and one Repeater. I have two
banks dedicated for the EDP; one with note numbers controlling the
functions
rec/overdub/multiply/insert/nextLoop/reverse/HalfSpeed/replace/insert
and one with each footpad sending a control change to call up EDP
program 1-10. All ten programs I use have the same setting except for
the 8th/Cycle which goes 4,5,6,7,8,10,12,16,32. I'm changing preset
while playing, and with loops in the machines, to push Repeater into
playing another tempo than the EDP. This is a way to achieve
polyrhythmic musical effects.

Sometimes I like to turn the sync off and let the Repeater play back at
the absolutely lowest tempo (this sounds like some horror sci-fi sound
fix) while layering EDP stuff on top of that. To my surprise almost
anything is working just fine musically if played back off-sync at 1 BPM
after being recorded at maybe 74 BPM. And then you can put the EDP at
Low-Speed (half tempo) set the Repeater to sync and it will perform a
beautiful accelerando to catch up with EDP (at half tempo). Then you can
play for a while before taking the EDP back to "normal speed", which
will finally also bring the Repeater loops back to how they once were
recorded (IF you have not recorded something down there at 1 BPM - this
can really sound bad... but  sometimes quite funny as well ;-)

I also have one EDP preset which is set to "unrounded and unquanitzed"
to build up noisy "granular loops" that I can later cut (with multiply
ended by rec) into a rhythmic loop that goes in a tempo suitable for the
Repeater (poor R cannot handle recording at too fast tempi). Talking
about the two expression pedals I have one signed to the EDP midi
channel and one for the Repeater.

Best wishes

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se