Re: EDP switches for drummers

>What if you ran a wire(s) from the edp pedal (as suggested by jondrums)
>and
>connected it to a cymbal (the metal content I am unsure)
>
>Then wrap gold foil or some other metal contact to the edges of a stick.
>Thus when the stick hits the cymbal it activates the function.
>
>tq

not bad... it might not work for the Record switch due to bouncing
(multiple contacts that produce a very short loop immediately, some
thing to verify!)
But it seems interesting for BeatSync where you dont have that
bouncing problem.
BeatSync also accepts audio pulses, so you could connect a mic to it,
but maybe your idea is simpler and certainly does not suffer from
cross talk.

>Matthias, are you saying that a single trigger connected to the EDP beat
>sync
>will send a signal to the EDP  will control one EDP funtction, such as
>record
>to open and close a loop.

no, its a Sync in- and output.
If you set Sync to IN and connect either a switch or an audio signal
to BeatSync (just any kind of electric pulse) it will keep the
LoopStart at that pulse.
If you press Record after such pulse arrived in Reset, the EDP
assumes that you want to sync to the pulse. So, if Quant is on,
Record will only start at the next cymbal hit.
Then the time till the next cymbal hit will be the cycle length and
the loop will be rounded to a multiple of it.

So by this you achieve two things:
- You dont neet to hit Record exactly. Press it a little early and
you get the precision of the cymbal.
- As long as you dont change the speed of your cymbal too much, the
EDP will follow it.

Whether it really works satisfactory you will have to find out!

Kim explains this better in the manual he is writing... is that chapter
ready?

>Also, what is meant by "it would take a new quantize mode?" Do you mean
>new
>software or I need to select on new mode?

that would be new programming, because so far, quantizing only is
possible to the internal time counting. In the future (maybe not this
EDP hard ware any more) it will be possible to quantize to external
events like the pulse coming from BeatSync.

Thank you for stimulation and experimenting!
Matthias

--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org