Re: Freedom from MIKO (STAY ON THE LIST PLEASE, GUYS)

>To leave this really cool list just because one member is bugging you just
>seems
>a bit like the easy way out.

A very reasonable and thoughtful post, so let me try taking a stab at
this again myself.

First, I'll extend an apology to Miko. To say publicly that someone's
posts are 'useless' isn't particularly kind, so I apologize.

I suppose what I have objected to is what appears to be (and I may be
wrong about this) Miko's style and/or internet persona. Personally I
would prefer that people reply to stuff that is more or less on topic
(unless specifically designated as off topic). Second, Miko seems (to
me at least) to speak in riddles half the time, as if (again, I may
be wrong...) to suggest he is either hipper-than-thou or somehow "in
the know" about things the rest of us aren't. Sometimes I'm guessing
it's simply a more or less successful attempt at humor, but other
times it seems equal parts condescending and/or insulting to other
list members who aren't in the know.

And, for what it's worth (which ain't much), I don't consider myself
a dummy, and I know there are plenty of very bright people here. I
happen to be finishing a PhD at the University of Chicago. I don't
have a lot of patience for two things as a
result--pseudo-intellectualism (what I refer to above as speaking in
riddles--as if you know things the rest of the poor, ignorant slobs
don't), and real, pompous intellectualism--pretentious, showing off
of one's knowledge just to try to belittle others. Maybe Miko is
doing neither; maybe he's doing some of both?  Maybe he's just
playing games to piss off people like me (artists are known to fuck
with people *just* for the sake of fucking with people, after all)
Maybe I just get frustrated because I have little patience for any of
the above?

>Just write him with your complaints (and doing so offlist would be the
>most
>efficacious

Agreed, but I just don't want to take the time sometimes--it's
draining. The internet is such a bizarre place. Few of us actually
know each other, and yet all of these lists we participate in are
communities of some sort. We all try to get along as best we can, and
there are people who attempt to mediate disputes between us, and so
forth. At the end of the day, though, I'm finding that it's just
taking up too much of my time to address every little (or big)
problem that comes along. It's a matter of keeping a decent signal to
noise ratio, as is often said. I don't like noise.

>Please stay guys.............fight for the quality of this list!!!!    I
>support you.

Ok, I've said my peace then. Miko, I'm sorry if I jumped on your case
too quickly. I do not know you, and I would not presume to tell you
how to express yourself on this list. But perhaps you could consider
some of what I said above.

To start over, here's a little bit about me, since I probably didn't
give a proper introduction a month or two ago when I joined. I
already mentioned I'm doing the academic thing above, so eventually
I'll be a prof. somewhere. I'm also a musician, a guitar player by
trade. Been playing about 20 years, but I feel like a beginner. The
more you learn, the less you realize you know.

I'm not a looper--yet. I want to get an EDP, but I still haven't come
up with the funds. So, in the meantime, I'm learning what I can from
the group (most of the tech talk goes over my head, but learning
through osmosis can be a good thing) and I'm listening to the stuff
that people have uploaded or have sent links to. I've found that I've
liked some of it an awful lot, and some of it wasn't really my cup of
tea. I'm quite interested in hearing more, though.

Peace,

Jeff