Re: Collaboration in music (response to RandomLFO)

  Marc, I enjoy reading your posts quite alot, but need to respond in the
negative to this one.   People have been upset with Miko for  posting many
off-topic posts of late, and this one at least to me is quite on-topic, and
one that I found rather interesting and thought-provoking.    -Regardless
whether it's opinion or not...
  <smile>   to me at least, it's sort of like dis'ing someone when they're
only doing what you've asked them to.  Wouldn't you say?...
  I also think the Check your meds comment is unfair, insulting and harsh,
and maybe not the best or most polite way of showing your frustration, not
to mention, on a public forum.    -a bit hurtful, don't ya think?  -Miko
has afterall, mentioned this, apologized for OT posts, and was ready to
leave the list.  -To me, your comment is a bit much, to say the least...
  These are obviously just my opinions, but I for one really enjoyed
reading that post, whether I agreed or not.   Have a great night, K?

CQ

   At 01:45 AM 11/11/02 EST, you wrote:
>In a message dated 11/11/2002 12:47:10 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>m-i-k-o@attbi.com writes:
>

>       the public has a complex ear and can appreciate the additional
>complexity of music which has evolved from the balance or amalgamation of
>efforts, talents, and egos. No matter how talented someone is- think about
>how much we appreciate the sound of collaboration.
>

>     Ahh... If only the public at large did collectively have a complex
>ear. What country do you live in? Unfortunately in America, a significant
>percentage of the public has a very disinterested ear in anything other
>than what gets drilled into their heads by commercial radio. This is not a
>judgement as to what people should be listening too, but a recognition of
>how little music actually gets to the ears of the majority of the
>"public".
>Curiously enough the examples of collaberation that you gave are all
>probably played incessantly on commercial radio.
>     Everyone in the "public" has a different relationship to music. Some
>are very passionate about the music that they love. For others, it's just
>sonic wallpaper. For some, it's even pure annoyance no matter what
>"style".
>Some people's tastes are very eclectic. Some are very specific. It really
>sounds like you are just stating your tastes in music. Unfortunately you
>are coming across like you are trying tell everyone else what their tastes
>should be too. Now that's Fascism!
>     Your above paragraph also makes me wonder if you have ever attended a
>solo artists performance? The public often greatly appreciates solo
>artists. I have never heard anyone walking away from a solo artists
>performance saying something like
> ..."That was OK, but it just wasn't the sound of collaberation." I just
>sounds like your ego is stuck on defending it's clearly false claim. Check
>your meds!
>     On the other hand, I could just laugh at your joke. I must admit that
>it's hard to take you seriously, but somehow I have. Maybe you have just
>decided to make people laugh at your silliness. Maybe we should just laugh
>at ourselves for worrying about what you are saying.
>     Marc

---

-Then, anything is possible..."

http://home.earthlink.net/~thefates