Re: Practice, rehearse, perform

  <smile>   What about "up here?"   lol!   no ego here...   lollollol!
  Douglas, nice to see your posts here.   I always love reading them.
Thank you...
  Anyway, you said in reply to Nemoguitt, But I doubt if you would choose
to "practice" when you are ostensibly
performing for an audience: "hmmm. Maybe I should see if I can introduce
exactly one new note every minute for my entire set. Maybe I should rewire
my looper thingie so it comes before my atomic effects atomizer thingie,
then route it back into the looper thingie with just a touch of feedback.
Maybe I should play this new microtonal bass, even though I've never even
held it before." Nomsane?

  I've actually done exactly this on several occasions.  -played
instruments I'd never played before in a live performance setting.
additionally, I've been asked literally, two minutes before a show to play
material I'd not rehearsed, and was not familiar with, with people I'd
never met, upon simply one of them hearing what I've done
improvisationally.  Also, regarding the idea of rewiring one's gear or some
such idea on stage, -don't we do something very similar to this in the face
of limitation or unexpected circumstance such as technical difficulties, or
strings breaking and such, which might not be the easiest to deal with at a
moment's notice.   We adapt.   We are creative in front of an audience, and
practicing new ways of performing as we perform.   So in my examples above,
am I practicing or playing, or both?   The whole idea of improv itself as
it relates to these concepts is also very interesting.    Is it practice or
play?   <smile>   -Is it live or is it Memorex?...   lol!
  Thanks again for such an interesting post.   Have a wonderful  day!, K?

Smiles,

CQ

---

-Then, anything is possible..."