Re: Practice, rehearse, perform

--- Douglas Baldwin <coyotelk@optonline.net> wrote:
> And Greg House wrote:
>
> >While it's nice if your playing is effortless, but along the lines of
>the
> other
> thread I was just writing on, it can make for a more interesting
>performance
> if your looping appears LESS effortless.
>
> And, wiseass that I am, I have an aphorism about appearance. "Music is
>the
> performance of sound; theater is the performance of appearance." Many
> musicians add theater to their performances. Some even do so
>intentionally!

Haha! Well, music generally falls into what most people call
"entertainment".
Recordings are generally the realm of the purely sonic form of musical
entertainment. For live performances, most people I've observed seem to
expect
more (or at least different) then a picture perfect musical performance by
someone who hardly moves. I've said it myself, "If I wanted to hear the
CD, I'd
sit at home in my living room. The acoustics are better and I don't smell
like
smoke when I'm done." I enjoy watching people play, especially if they
themselves
are enjoying it (and it shows). The visual definitely augments the sound.

Greg