Re: Practice, rehearse, perform

--- jim palmer <jimp@pobox.com> wrote:

> >... "If I wanted to hear the CD, I'd
> > sit at home in my living room. The acoustics are better and I don't
>smell
> like smoke when I'm done."
>
> so why don't you just buy the video?

I like improvisation, and I like something real.

> >I enjoy watching people play, especially if they themselves
> > are enjoying it (and it shows). The visual definitely augments the
>sound.
> >
> > Greg
> >

> well, at least you admit your not a musician...
> (joke)

Um... You lost me. Are you insulting me because I think most audiences
like more
of a "show" then someone gazing at their shoes playing music note-for-note
as it
is on their CD at something they call a "live performance" (which bears
little
resemblance to either)?

> really, the term "poser" was coined for this sentiment.
> i personally am not interested in adding theater to my music
>performances.

My understanding of the term "poseur" is that it's not that someone moves
around
in some particular way on stage, but someone who COPIES the style of
someone else
who does (usually denoting a poor attempt at reproduction).

Frankly, I don't have much interest in hopping around just to show off or
attract
attention. I don't have a problem with people that do...or don't. And I
don't
think either indicates more or less artistic integrity.

What I was talking about, in terms of LOOPING performances, is simply that
if you
can do an action in a way that makes it clear to people that you're doing
something (as opposed to stealthily pressing record and play with your
foot while
their attention is on your guitar), then it helps prevent them from
getting the
idea that you're playing over a CD or a sequencer. I wasn't talking about
grandstanding, just being intentional about doing what you do in a visual
sort of
way. No fans on my long hair or spandex required.

> i find the general audiences preoccupation with visuals somewhat akin to
> people who can't read a book without pictures.

Frankly, I think we must be talking about different forms of "visuals".
Even
going to the symphony, which is pretty "straight" musically, there's
plenty to
watch. Violins are bowed, kettle drums are hit, clarinets are blown. A
symphony
without the visual is no different then a recording with really good
fidelity.

Greg