Re: HOORAY FOR US!!!!!

Title: Re: HOORAY FOR US!!!!!
From: "Bill Fox" <billfox@fast.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 23:34:43 -0500
To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Zvonar" <zvonar@zvonar.com>
> Back then the term "minimalism" wasn't even in general use by the
> press. We used to call it "pattern music."

I've called it ostinato music.  Don't recal if I heard it somewhere or coined it
myself.  The former is more likely, though.

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill -

I hope my comments are not too late to be of use, as I subscribe in digest form.
Ostinato music is the term I used for it for several years to describe my own repeating pattern pieces.

Ostinato is the Italian musical term used to describe "a clearly defined melodic phrase which is persistently repeated, usually in the same voice part and at the same pitch, although in extended compositions it is sometimes transferred to another voice or to another pitch. It occurs most frequently in the bass, as basso ostinato. Compositions based throughout on such a basso ostinato are called grounds. The ostinato was used mainly in the Baroque period, but the 20th century has brought about a significant revival of this device." - The Harvard Brief Dictionary of Music

All the Best,

Richard
--
Richard J. Roberts / ZERO OHMS