Re: Practice, rehearse, perform

I'm not so sure about that. IMO, there's a pretty wide range of reasons people like to attend live music events. Sure, some folks enjoy it more when a performer augments the performance with lighting, dancing, special effects, whatever. Some enjoy watching/participating in the spectacle of the audience itself. Some find the way an artist interacts with an audience to be something they can't get listening to the CD at home.

A friend of mine was describing to me a concert he saw a few weeks ago, and mentioned that he found it very entertaining to watch the Berklee students parade past the stage to drool over the guitarist's rack!

I remember watching Tal Farlow in concert in the early 80's, and being amazed by the way he voiced his chords. He didn't do any Moonwalking or wear gold spandex and there was no laser show, but I definitely got a lot more out of the event from the visual element than I ever did listening to Farlow's records at home. He just sat there and played.

I'm not sure if we can say that just because an audience member enjoys *watching* the performance that it necessarily diminishes his or her *listening* experience. Conversely, I'm probably not alone in remembering how at concerts in the old Boston Gardens, how annoying it was to be seated behind one of those three-foot-wide posts that blocked your view.

-t-

jim palmer <jimp@pobox.com> wrote:
>most of the modern audience is more interested in visuals than in music.
>i find the general audiences preoccupation with visuals somewhat akin to
>people who can't read a book without pictures.

Do you Yahoo!?