Re: pioneers of electronic music

I was fortunate to have had acess to a Buchla sequencer in college. It was the coolest thing. 8 ocillators that you could sequence in different ways with patch-cords all over the place.

Don's Lightning instrument is one of the coolest things out there right now. Brilliant guy.

http://WWW.BUCHLA.COM/lightning/index.html

http://WWW.BUCHLA.COM/historical/index.html

Richard Zvonar wrote:

At 6:15 PM +0000 11/18/02, S.P. Goodman wrote:
> Raymond Scott was not particularly influential. In fact, I never
> heard of him until just recently. Scott was certainly a pioneer, but
> he was so secretive about his inventions that very few people knew
> about them. A notable exception was Bob Moog, but even then Bob cites
> Don Buchla for giving him the idea for a step sequencer, even though
> Scott had invented one years before.
> --

Yipes, Doc.  Raymond Scott created probably the first step sequencer.  Bob
Moog worked with him.
 Well, isn't that what I said? (see above) Scott invented a lot of things but kept his light under a bushel. And as I also said (above) when Bob Moog was asked about his development of the Moog step sequencer module, he said "Oh, I copped that idea from Don Buchla." I heard him say it. He never mentioned Raymond Scott, though he did indeed spend some time with Scott in the late 1950s. Here's what Moog has to say about squencers, as quoted in the wonderful book "Manhatten Research, Inc." about Raymond Scott:
Irvin Chusid: Scott credits you with coining the term "sequencer." Is that true?

Bob Moog: I don't think so. The first sequencer [by name] I can remember Buchla came out with. I knew about it around 1967, but Buchla had developed it two or three years before.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com