Re: MTV

<<An aside on "Video Killed the Radio Star", if I

might.  Good Beginnings of a thing are often
remembered for far longer than the things
themselves, and more often than not may not be a
norm for that thing's process-in-general. The
Buggles' song was played on the radio in NYC long
before MTTV was in even 10% of homes.>>

If memory serves, the first Buggles album came
out in 79. After that, Geoff Downes and Trevor
Horn (who basically WERE The Buggles, after the
third guy you see in the video left) joined Yes,
recorded the highly underrated album Drama with
them, and toured the US and Europe before the
whole thing fell apart.

People in the US think The Buggles were a new
group in 81, but I think they may have already
bitten the dust, with Horn moving onto production
and Downes co-founding Asia.

<<  And, for several years after its founding,
MTTV was desperate enough for material to play
that they ran Juice Newton videos.>>

We first got cable in the summer of 82, and I
don't remember EVER seeing Juice Newton on MTV.
They may have showed her real early on (they also
aired a Charlie Daniels concert early on as
well), but from mid 82 onwards, I was an ardent
viewer, and I never saw Juice Newton on there.
I remember seeing her on HBO, on their Video
Jukebox show (along with Al DiMeola, Pat Metheny,
and Jean-Luc Ponty, none of whom I ever saw on
MTV, either..though I did see them later on
VH-1's New Visions show).

The funny thing about MTV in the early days is
they got a lot of criticism for not playin black
artists. People like Prince, Shalamar, and other
R&B performers had videos, but MTV wouldn't play
them. Years later, they claimed it was because
they were going for the "white suburban male
demographic", which explains the heavy reliance
on new wave stuff, with a little bit of hard rock
and metal mixed in. But if they were playing
Juice Newton and Charlie Daniels (I can vouch on
the latter, I remember seeing that live version
of The Devil Went Down To Georgia a number of
times), that kinda shoots that theory to hell.

Of course, it's kinda ironic that MTV went from
playing no black artists in 81-82 to being almost
entirely black by the end of the 90's. That is,
when they even bothered to play videos.

I still think MTV was amazingly great for about
the first 4 or 5 years. It was somewhere around
86 or 87 when it started to go down the toilet, I
think.

=====
May you never thirst!
The Scuba Diver Presently Known As Chris

"What do you get when you give a yo-yo to a flock of flamingos?"-James
Earl Jones