Re: Starscapes

I try not to encode any new work in Real's format.  Besides the obvious
assumption of filetypes, though, RealOne [phhf!] Player wants to be more
than just your media player, and screws it up genuinely.  On the content
producer side, Real's treated most of us like leftover tripe, if that, and
their confusing links to 'new free' software that turn out to be the
Premium
($) player should be enough for anyone to spit at them and walk away, no
matter what computer they use.  I even used to find the weekly-changing
link
to the ACTUAL free player by Real, and put it on my Studios page for those
who wanted to still listen to Real content.  The really last straw for me
came when, about the same time as the release of the 'RealOne' player, none
of my old RA content would play anymore, despite having a plug-in by Real
that purported to do just that.  My Haunted pages used to use that format,
and it's been silent ever since.  Did their new encoder include the
capability to read those old files and save them as new content?  Did their
support area ever answer a single request for help?  Hell, no!  Why should
they care?

Unfortunately, lots of sites use the format, thanks to Real's ascent - on
most of OUR backs - to dominance in the codec arena.  I don't know why
really, given the awful quality of the results their encoders now produce.
Sorry about the rant, but you hit a sore spot.  In any event isn't it nice
to not have a post ranting about Miko? :)