Re: Should ambient music be performed live?

If people aren't watching
> me, why am I doing it live?

Well.. hmm. okay. it may be easier with us when we have our own
visualisations and thats what they are looking at and sametime our music
is mostly improvisation which would not be that if it would not be live...
I dont think main idea of live performance is that someone looks at you.
sounds silly to me.

Again it depends on setup and systems built on ambient also... I have to
say
one of the most boring session was with one quite famous
ambient/electronica
project where there was only 1 dude with big monitor (back of it pointing
audience)
Now here I acree with you. That did look silly... but again he wasnt really
playing live
only mixing some tracks with ACID in my believe (had to peek what he was
doing back there).

And this was big electronic music festival here in Finland called
"Koneisto"
(machinery in english)

well for us we use visualisation and different experimental places that
helps us to make live music as well
not only for audience.

.jukka
www.rihmasto.com