Re: First Excursions into Frippertronics

Quoting Dylan DeAnda <dylan@loudcloud.com>:
> My question is, since all of you guys here are frippfanatics, what
> should I be listening for?

on vinyl, God Save The Queen is on one side and Under Heavy Manners is on
the
other.

this is one of my favourite records, and i think they're both equally
important
sides.

as far as God Save The Queen goes, i wouldn't go out of my way to "pay
attention" to what's going on. just listen to the textures and how the
loop
develops.

Under Heavy Manners is more interesting, to me. David Byrne's vocals on
"Under
Heavy Manners" are pretty funny, and so is the break in the middle with
Fripp
saying "Continue ...". "The Zero Of The Signified" is a remarkable track
in
that a) it's the first instance of dance music (DOR) with frippertronic
underpinnings and b) that 6/8 guitar figure that runs with absolute
repetition
through the whole track was recorded _without_punch_ins_ as the SECOND
TAKE!!!

so you have here in "Zero Of The Signified" a perfect unadultered
"Frippism".
totally groovy and accessible, yet with an ethereal element (the
frippertronic
loops) and a very restrained show-offing of impeccable technique (the
12-minute
6/8 guitar figure).

i like the album quite a bit. unfortunately bob totally wrecked it during
the
CD re-issue. first he overdubbed a marshall-overdrived guitar solo
on "Zero...". then he put the two discotronics tracks on a hacked-up
League Of
Gentlemen re-issue. the 3 frippertronics tracks never made it to CD at
all,
even though there was plenty of room for them on "Let The Power Fall".

Eric Williamson
www.suitandtieguy.com