Re: Should ambient music be performed live?

Jukka Andersson wrote:

> I have to say
> one of the most boring session was with one quite famous
>ambient/electronica
> project where there was only 1 dude with big monitor (back of it
>pointing to
> audience)
> Now here I acree with you. That did look silly...

I'm not sure I'm that far from that in terms of visuals.  I hate to say
it, but
the only people I really remember watching at any of the loopfests I've
been to
are Rick Walker (because he uses interesting objects for sound sources) Jon
Wagner (drummers are very animated) Ted Killian (the expressiveness of his
face
and the interaction with the percussionist he played with was interesting)
and
Amy X.  To be honest, as much as I enjoyed the music, the performances were
more, "Ooo what gear is he using?" than anything else.  Again, I'm
wondering if
we had a looper party where a DJ spun selected tracks we've done while
people
hung out and did whatever, it would have been as good.  Maybe better.

I think this changes when you have a group where there is dynamics between
the
players.  My wife says, "You've got to have a gimmick or be pretty damn
cute."
I think she's right.  Maybe I need a gimmick?

I'm not meaning to be insulting, I'm just trying to hit on something here
that
I think is a common problem for a lot of loopers.

Mark Sottilaro