Re: Should ambient music be performed live?

> > I think this changes when you have a group where there is dynamics
between
> the
> > players.  My wife says, "You've got to have a gimmick or be pretty damn
> cute."
> > I think she's right.  Maybe I need a gimmick?

I'm not sure about a gimmick, but people will respond if you look like
you're offering them something worth looking at. Your use of Rick Walker as
an example is very apt - Rick's performance is exceedingly visual, and as
such incredibly engaging for people who would normally never give stuff
that
abstract the time of day... His Dayglo Green Plastic piece is pretty far
out
there in terms of sound and whatnot, but when we played at Borders
(BORDERS!!!!) in Sacramento, you had everyone from little kids to folks in
their 70s getting down with their bad selves to Rick's exaggerated
movements
and engaging expression... it works wonders.

I make a point of dressing in 'stage clothes' - which swings from hippy-ish
sarong and floaty shirt through to my current 'si-fi muppet' outfit of
shiny
silver t-shirt and blue fluffy jacket (think Fraggle auditioning for
bit-part in Deep Space Nine), and I smile. A lot.

Also, if at all possible, make it fun, for pete's sake (unless, obviously,
it's a requiem or something intended to be dark...) - no matter how
seriously you take it, you've got to bear in mind where your audience are
at
and what you want to get across to them...

Best bet is to video yourself, and see how it comes across...

I've learnt a heck of a lot in the last couple of months about dealing with
crowds!!!!

cheers

Steve
www.steve-lawson.co.uk