Re: 80's looping?

Title: Re: 80's looping?
At 12:21 AM -0500 11/22/02, Scott Carr wrote:
I'm guessing that Shelley Hirsch is the likely candidate. I remember
that she looked a bit like Kate Bush + she seems to most closely fit
that profile. Do you know if whe has an official website - I'm not
coming up with very musch in English from Google.

http://www.creative-capital.org/artists/performance/hirsch/hirsch.html

http://www.somewhere.org/NAR/Work_Excerpts/Hirsch/Main.htm

http://www.tzadik.com/CDSections/RadicalJewishCulture/hirsch.html

http://www.uncool.ch/SPONSOR2001/Hirsch.html

This is from the Harvestworks Creative Contact site:

Composer's bio/personal statement:
Shelley Hirsch began putting on musical performances in the courtyard of the apartment building where she grew up in Brooklyn, NY. After dropping out of high school, Hirsch relocated to San Francisco and joined an experimental theater company. While working with that group, she read Artaud, practiced Jerzy Grotowski's physical theater exercises, explored extended vocal techniques and began composing pieces for voice. She has been singing, composing and performing ever since. Her staged (mostly solo) musical performances, radio plays, improvisations and music for films, concerts and recordings have been received with critical acclaim internationally.

Other professional information:

I own dat machines, an Eventide harmonizer and other multi effects units and a sampling keyboard.
I have recorded and performed on the works of several composers, often creating my own vocal part. These include Jerry Hunt, John Zorn, Richard Teitelbaum, Arnold Dreyblatt, David Weinstein, Elliot Sharp, David Simons, Joel Forrester, Phillip Johnston, Kirk Nurock.

Current record label/publishing affiliations:
Record labels include Tellus, Tzadik, FMP, Intakt, No Mans Land/Rec rec, CRI, Nonesuch etc I am affiliated with Gema in Germany

Other works:
A partial list of my music composition
War or Dreams Voice( a.k.a. # 39) : electronic processing, sound effects, keyboards (keyboards, David Weinstein.) Commissioned by New American Radio, Harvestworks
Now I am yours and Temenos: Music from the film (excerpt included) by film maker Nina Danino
The Passions of Natasha, Nokiko, Nina, Nanette and Norma: Music performance installation in collaboration with visual artist Barbara Bloom for voice,electronics, acoustic and electric keyboards, percussion, timpani, turntables, harpsichord created with the musicians Anthony Coleman, David Simons, David Shea, Denman Maroney (an hour long performance)Commissioned/ co produced by the Marstall, Hebbel Theater,(Germany) Vienna Festival Week,(Austria)
Medea: Music for the dance production choreographed by Claudia Feest of the Tanz Fabrik Berlin For voice, sampling keyboards, live electronics performed by myself live
(an hour long performance)
For Jerry Part 1: Music performance and installation, a virtual duet with the late composer performance/video artist Jerry Hunt in which,I collaged arranged and sung-spoke with his pre recorded music. Co-produced/ commissioned by The Whitney Museum on 42nd St. performance series,The Marstall and Hebbel Theaters in Germany.
For Jerry Part 2:, for my father Jerry first permutation performed at Roulette, commissioned by NYSCA for voice and keyboards. Performed by myself, Anthony Coleman and David Shea
O' Little Town of East New York: my autobiographical, prize winning piece for radio, stage concert and cd, for voice, electronics and sampling keyboards co-composed with keyboardist David Weinstein commissioned for radio by New American Radio. The music was commissioned by Mary Flagler Cary Trust
Recordings:
States- My latest cd on Tellus
O Little Town of East New York co composed with David Weinstein on Tzadik
Singing-Solo for voice and duets with Samm Bennett and David Simons an Apollo
Haiku Lingo Co. compositions with David Weinstein on No Mans Land

Reviews:

"Tenemos" and "States" - both dating from 1997 - are incredible. "States," the album's centerpiece, is a complex soundscape that mixes polyphonic renditions of American pop songs ("Blue Moon" and "Blue Skies"), cocktail lounge monologues, techno music, exotica, Bulgarian choral singing and the Firebird Suite, all strung together in a stew of electronically treated found sounds. It's not an easy thing melding all this territory into coherence, yet Hirsch manages to keep the thing seamlessly afloat for almost 20 minutes. "Tenemos" is a hypnotic treatment of a Steinian sentence, "Don't touch the rosebush." There are grunts and groans, cut-up words, drony echoes, clicks and pops. It's a marvelous update on the vocal techniques pioneered by Cathy Berberian earlier in the century.
[Goldsmith, NYPress Music Xtra, Feb. 4-10, 1998]
Genres that apply to the Composer's work:
New Music
Jazz
Classical
Popular
Ambient
many of my pieces incorporate various styles and genres
The experiences that have influenced the Composer's entire body of work are:
Growing up in the melting pot of NYC, remembering every record that spun on my families record player as a child, experiencing the way things sound in different acoustical settings, i.e., houses of worship, stairwells, rooms with no reflection at all; creating vocal sound landscapes while a performer in an experimental theater company in the early seventies, loving to improvise

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com