[looper's] RE: First Excursions into Frippertronics

Title: [looper's] RE: First Excursions into Frippertronics

>>Does anyone else have any comments on what to look for or why something
is especially noteworthy?<<

can't we just do the prefix thing ourselves, like this? it works for my filter. most annoying thing is when someone replies to a list along with a bunch of other addresses (like their mates or summat) and the list-address doesn't get seen by the filter.... but these are minor inconveniences, and so is spam. basically, you've got to stop treating e-mail inboxes like they were y'r own personal space, and get used to deleting stuff. it's easier than getting rid of /real/ junk-mail.

anyway.
his bobness.
introduced to "skysaw" guitar by one brian eno, while they collaborated on something or other way back when. the one with the mirrors on it, maybe, or one of eno's albums- I think "no pussyfooting" happened while they were supposed to be doing something else....

so I suppose we should be thanking brian "two revoxes" eno for the legacy, not fripp. but steve reich and les paul had both done it earlier anyway.

and the e-bow was just around the corner, though a.f.a.i.k. fripp's never used one.

fripp's contribution seems to me to have been to stick at it and make it work commercially.
the contrast between his seemingly infinite sustain and his lightning-speed-accurate arpeggio playing is what distinguishes him from (say) belew or torn or holdsworth or bill nelson or any of the other "intelligent" guitarists who can tell whether they're holding a guitar or their own pork-prong.....

I can enjoy listening to many wildly different styles of guitar-playing but the common factor to all the afore-mentioned and extending to the likes of evh, rory gallagher, leslie west and so on, is the rapport they have with the instrument that permits every nuance of expression to show. as opposed to the it-could-be-anyone-playing-that pyrotechnics of, say, johnny greenwood or ace from skunk anansie or dave grohl or..... (hendrix rated dusty hill very highly, but you've got to listen to an uncomfortable amount of zz top to figure it out, and it's barely worth the trouble.)

I'd single out sense-of-humour as a good example; images of rory dragging that poor strat around the stage by it's cable, or evh "commenting" on dave lee roth's lyrics, or /any/ hendrix... and this is key to understanding why none of jimi's many imitators- trower, frusciante et al- don't sound like the real deal.

but it's the less obvious examples which are the sort of area where fripp shines- the solo on bowie's "thunderosa", his entry into vdgg's "man-erg" which sounds like he's walked into the room backwards just in time for his solo.... the man used to have a sense of humour.

recommended: the original version of "league of gentlemen" (only on vinyl, so far as I know) and- where it works best, in a rock context- "exposure" (a terrific, under-rated album) and the companion daryl hall "sacred songs". pretty much anything where he appears as a guest.

avoid the later crimson incarnations, esp. the construKction set. the projeKct stuff is way better, while "red" (the last "proper" KC album) was mr cobain's favourite album ever. apparently.

you have to love the guy, curmudgeon though he be. just don't try to take his picture during a set- he will leave the stage before the flash has faded.

duncan/r.m.i.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user
of the e-mail address to which it was addressed, and may also
be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may
not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it
in any form whatsoever.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please e-mail the sender
by replying to this message.

MTV reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications from
external/internal sources for the purposes of ensuring correct
and appropriate use of MTV communication equipment.

MTV Networks Europe