[looper's] RE: First Excursions into Frippertronics

At 2:54 PM +0000 11/22/02, goddard.duncan@mtvne.com wrote:

>so I suppose we should be thanking brian "two revoxes" eno for the
>legacy, not fripp. but steve reich and les paul had both done it
>earlier anyway.

Before Frippertronics there was Terry Riley's "Time Lag Accumulator."
This consisted of two decks with the tape threaded from one the the
other. According to Terry, the technique was "invented" by a French
radio engineer who was assisting him on a theater project in Paris,
1963. Terry had been composing with tape loops and sound on sound
since 1959 and the two-machine delay was developed as a response to
his request to the engineer assisting him.

When Terry returned to San Francisco he turned others on to the
technique. Pauline Oliveros was particularly active from the mid-60s
on with the use of live tape delays. Jon Hassell had also been
independently developing a loop-based performance practice since
1960. These techniques were therefore common currency among the
musical avant garde when Eno turned Fripp on to the idea in the early
'70s.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com