Special DAP Holiday Free CD Offer

Here's a special offer to those who have yet to check out the latest
release from The Dark Aether Project. If you purchase "The Gentle Art of
Firewalking" via the online vendor CD Street (http://www.cdstreet.com/),
you'll get a free copy of the "What's New in Baltimore" CD sampler while
supplies last.

WNIB - originally only available in copies of Expose' magazine - features
the re-worked/re-recorded version of "Feed The Silence" featuring the same
lineup that recorded the new album. It also features great tracks by Uncle
Gut, Kurgan's Bane, Sonus Umbra, Dysfunctional Family, Trephine MD, DAP's
Allen Brunelle's electronic project "Tempustry" and more!

Sound samples from all album tracks are available at
http://www.darkaether.net/

A Review of "The Gentle Art of Firewalking" by Stephanie Sollow
from Progressiveworld.net:

[http://www.progressiveworld.net/dap4.html]

"While I didn't have all good things to say about The Dark Aether
Project's 1998 self-titled debut release -- I haven't reviewed their
second release -- my general opinion was positive. But, two years and
another vocalist change later, The Dark Aether Project release The Gentle
Art Of Firewalking. This is a stunningly beautiful album. I am blown away
by it. All the changes in the band since 1998 - the mainstay member being
Adam Levin (Warr 8-String touch style guitar, bass, guitar, keys, and
loops) -- have been for the best. Not to dis' his previous cohorts, but
the quartet he has brought in this time - Jennifer Huff on vocals; Allen
Brunelle on drums, backing vocals, and keyboards; John McCloskey on
guitar, and Marty Saletta on keyboards and stick -- have made this year's
Dark Aether Project the best yet.

New vocalist Huff has a wonderfully warm voice, though it doesn't quite
work for me on "Shades." Yaman Aksu has been replaced by McCloskey on
guitar and I have to say that I fell for this album just based on the
first track, the instrumental "Crossing The Threshold." While Levin ,
Brunelle, and are not absent here, their sparse, measured, moody lines
provide the perfect backdrop to McCloskey's guitar excursions. It's the
kind of mellow and yet energetic piece that would sound sublime live, at
dusk, under a slowly darkening sky. Beautiful. These very same words could
describe the title track as well, as the clear notes from McCloskey speak
with the same voice -- saying something different, a little lighter, a
little more upbeat, but the same voice.

"Night Embrace" is the second track and the first with vocals. Here Levin
on touch guitar is the lead instrument. Huff's vocal delivery is part
sung, part spoken, and while it may seem I over use this word (I think I
used it above) this is very very moody ... recalling for me at once a
merging of The Motels, Berlin, and mellow The Gathering and Brave. Oh,
yes, and more tasty guitar from McCloskey.

Musically, the "aether" part of their name is very strong, reminding me
also of many a Dark Symphonies artist - which I guess has now become
shorthand for a particular type of music. My impression of Dark Aether
Project has never been that of darkwave, and yet here they easily could
qualify. Not that they would need to for any reason. But, looking at the
lyrics, we do not have a happy bunch of folks... most of the lyrics deal
with the pain, anguish, anger, and dark thoughts that come to pass when a
relationship hits the skids...or disintegrates...

Did I say this was mellow darkwave? Well, not entirely, as one just needs
to listen to the searing guitar of McCloskey -- hmm, I must have a
McCloskey fixation. Nah, I just love guitar and McCloskey gives the
listener lots to love. I mean, there aren't highlights - nearly the whole
album is a highlight. The band's playing is so tight, so perfect (or near
enough to me that I can't find anything to quibble about). "Shades" is
angular, jazz-fusiony and, at times, reminded me of Echolyn ("Carpe Diem,"
I think) -- the interesting note here for those who are A) unfamiliar with
DAP or B) haven't read my previous review yet is that during Echolyn's
extended hiatus, bassist/vocalist Ray Weston was DAP's vocalist for Feed
The Silence, their second release.

Did I say jazz fusion? How about some metallic ferocity by way of "Sparks
Fly"? No misnomer that, as the sparks do fly - off grungy, acid guitar
(McCloskey, of course, but also Levin -- one for each ear), great "proggy"
keyboards, a bit Emersonian ... a bit of a Middle Eastern flavour during a
solo, funky bass... does it sound like they're having fun? It's like a
tightly organized jam...

"Embers" is a very ambient, atmospheric track with Brunelle's spoken words
playing against Huff's ethereal vocals. Levin's 8-string touchstyle guitar
playing circular, bass-deep phrases beneath keyboard washes and loops of
sound. The synth solo from Brunelle has an almost violin sound at times,
pitched a little higher than "usual," but certainly fills the same role,
sounding sweet, but melancholy... especially during the outro.

Wow! This is one of the best releases for 2002, for sure. It's quite
reluctant to leave my player, perhaps knowing that there's more to absorb
than what I shared already. This is one disk not to miss."

-Adam

----
             T h e   D a r k   A e t h e r   P r o j e c t
                      http://www.darkaether.net/

** The new CD "The Gentle Art of Firewalking" is available from:
   Amazon.com - Artist-Shop.com - CDBaby.com - CDStreet.com - LaserCD.com
   MandMMusic.com - OSMind.com - SynPhonic.8m.com - WaysideMusic.com