Re: Fripp

<<(hendrix rated dusty hill very highly, but
you've got to listen to an uncomfortable amount
of zz top to figure it out, and it's barely worth
the trouble.) >>

That's Billy Gibbons you're thinking of. Dusty
Hill is their bassist. Hendrix was also once
asked "What's it like being the world's greatest
guitarist" and he replied "Ask Phil Keaggy" (I
think it was Phil that he responded on that
occasion). And then there's the story that one of
the Chicago guys like to repeat, that Hendrix
told him personally that Terry Kath was a much
better guitarist than he was at a gig somewhere.

<<recommended: the original version of "league of
gentlemen" (only on vinyl, so far as I know) and-
where it works best, in a rock context-
"exposure" (a terrific, under-rated album) and
the companion daryl hall "sacred songs". pretty
much anything where he appears as a guest.>>

One caveat on the guest thing: I have two of the
Peter Gabriel records Fripp played on (the third
of which he also produced, and is reported to
have been part of some kind of trilogy along with
Exposure and Sacred Songs), and except for two
songs on the second album (the one with the big
white scratches going down the length of the
record from Peter's fingers), you can't even tell
he's there. I don't know if he was mixed out, or
if the liner notes are wrong, but the only songs
you can tell that Fripp is really there are
Exposure (which, obviously, is built around a
Frippertronics loop) and White Shadow (which
features one of those laser beam infinite sustain
solos).

<<avoid the later crimson incarnations, esp. the
construKction set. the projeKct stuff is way
better, while "red" (the last "proper" KC album)
 was mr cobain's favourite album ever.
apparently.>>

You mean Kurt "I Never Wanted To Be Famous Even
Though I Did Everything In My Power To Become
Famous" Cobain? Well, I've heard stranger things.
There was a punk band in LA called The Germs, who
apparently were very influential. Their guitarist
(who later went on to play with The Foo Fighters)
was asked who his favorite guitarist was in
Rolling Stone a few years back, and he named
Steve Howe!

I disagree with your assessment of latter day
Crimson. I think every version of Crimson has
given us lots to listen to. But I suppose it's
easy to understand why fans of the 70's albums
might not like them. Adrian Belew has that
Beatles influenced singer/songwriter thing going,
and that's ended up being a big part of the
band's sound since he joined. But I think you
should at least give side two of Three Of A
Perfect Pair a listen. Most of it's instrumental,
and it gets plenty out there.

Funny note about the ProjeKcts albums: I saw
ProjeKct Two in concert when they toured. In
fact, if you listen real closely to that audience
noise thing at the end of the ProjeKct Two disc
in the boxset, you can hear me yell "GET A
ROPE"...that sequence was recorded in Cleveland,
where someone took a photograph and Fripp got up
and walked off the stage...hence there's lots of
"GET THE F***ER WITH THE CAMERA!!!!" and "PLEASE
COME BACK!!!" etc from the audience members.
Anyway, the thing I thought was interesting was a
lot of times, when I heard that "laser beam" tone
appear, it was actually Trey Gunn, on his touch
guitar, playing it. At times, it almost sounded
like dueling Fripp's, with him and Fripp trading
off lines with that type of tone.

And as for the sense of humor aspect, Fripp did
have a great sense of humor, though you really
only hear it on the live stuff. There's a couple
examples of him on The Great Deciever boxset of
him talking to the audience that are hilarious
(he introduces himself to the Providence crowd as
"Bob, or Chuckles Fripp, as I am known in the
trade"). I have a couple bootlegs where he says
similiarly hilarious things. On the bootleg from
the Boston show from March of 72, he says that
they're doing a experiment to see how many gigs a
band can play in a row before someone drops, and
also to see who will be the first to drop, then
adds that at the moment "The odds on favorite is
myself".

=====
May you never thirst!
The Scuba Diver Presently Known As Chris

"What do you get when you give a yo-yo to a flock of flamingos?"-James
Earl Jones