Re: OT Rory Strats/Line 6 effects/RMI

<<good grief! thanks again for the kind remarks,
but you surely must be the keenest eyed observer
of our artwork to have spotted /that/!

                  gary's pride-and-joy (for he is
the guitarist), along with the little lad and his
two brothers, is indeed one of the 47 replicas of
rory's battered strat. we've held it up next to
the real one with rory's brother looking on...
but this is getting a bit OT.>>

Well, first of all, I'm a guitarist myself, and I
adore Strats, and I'm also a Rory Gallagher fan.
Althought I didn't really get into Rory until a
few years ago (when all of his albums were
reissued State-side by the Buddha label), I've
got quite heavily into him in that time, and even
own a bootlegged video of one of his Rockpalast
appearances. Believe me, I've spent more than a
little time staring at the real thing! That point
lept out at me almost immediately when I saw that
photo of Gary. I was like "Wait a second! That's
one of the Rory Strats!"

For this year's Fender Custom Shop calendar, the
Rory Strat was used for the January "model". I
had heard about the replicas from a Rory mailing
list I used to be on, but was quite impressed
that the publishers of the calendar used it. I
mean, I don't know what it's like in the UK, but
Rory really isn't all that well known here in the
US, so the publishers could have easily said
"Rory WHO?! We need somebody FAMOUS for our
calendar!".

At any rate, cheers to Gary for being lucky
enough to get one of those. I'd love to get one,
but whoever's in charge of such things at Fender
decided not continue to the replicas, and I
believe the ones that do exist are all in the UK.
It's a moot point, anyway, as they're all mucho
expensive.

<<the DL4 is indeed a magnificent pedal. I have a
couple of the others- the one that does
modulation-type effects (flangers, leslies &c)
and
the one that does filters (mutron, cry-baby &c),
but the DL4 is the most impressive.>>

Right, I have all three of those as well (still
haven't gotten the distortion pedal yet). I think
they're all amazing, in terms of everything they
pack into each one. I've been thinking about
getting an expression pedal (actually, I need to
get one for each of em), and seeing if I can't
program the filter pedal to emulate my old
Coloursound wah-wah (I don't know exactly when it
was built, but it's clearly VERY old, and has a
wider frequency range than any other wah wah I've
seen...even the newer Coloursound pedals from the
90's aren't like this).

<< someone told me that the pro version can be
had for $299 in the US, about half what it is
here... is this true?>>

I think it was mentioned on this list that this
is true, but I really don't have the means to get
the pro versions of the units. My main interest
in something like that would be that the pro
versions have more memory slots on them. There's
just too many different settings I want to store
on each of them.

<<we'd love to come back to the US soon- it seems
to be reasonably easy in terms of shipping and
making the gear work, but getting time off
from our jobs is the tricky bit....>>

Yeah, I suppose that would be a problem. Well, if
you can back to the Eastern part of the US again
someday, say to Philly again, or NYC or maybe
Baltimore, I can promise that I'll make an effort
to be there. And if you make it to Cleveland
(where I live) I WILL be there. Unfortunately,
you guys were playing in Philly the night after
Yes was playing here in Cleveland (or actually,
they were in Akron, which is about an hour from
Cleveland). In order for me to see the Yesshow, I
had basically had to work on Saturday night, and
it was just impossible for me to get the night
off so I could travel out to see you guys. And of
coures, I completely forgot about the Stars End
broadcast, so I didn't get to hear that either.

=====
May you never thirst!
The Scuba Diver Presently Known As Chris

"What do you get when you give a yo-yo to a flock of flamingos?"-James
Earl Jones