Re: Leviticus demo (New Repeater Jam)

On Saturday, November 23, 2002, at 05:41 PM, David Auker wrote:

> Thanks, Stuart! Expanded instrumentation - I like it lots.  What all
> do you
> play? For your flute, is it Irish, silver, penny whistle, ___?

Apart from the 7-string electric violin, I have a 'high D' and 'low D'
metal flutes... I think they are overton, but I'm not sure. I suppose
they are penny whistles, but solid aluminium.... They are pretty old
and well used. All the other sounds are from the virtual samplers
(using Reason on my ibook) triggered with the 2 octave Oxygen8 midi
keyboard and Roland FC200.

>  On its second appearance, you bend notes more...I wish I could do
> that more on my silver flute!

Technically I play really badly, and I think that I hold the flutes in
the wrong position. I definitely know that I do for the Low D, as I
cannot get the stretch to cover the holes with the lower stubs of the
fingers. I picked them up when I was living in Galway in 94, and have
never really had the chance to use them until now.

> I was blowing into a section of metal cylinder wind chime yesterday, a
> la
> pan pipe, noting that it was actually kind of a percussion instrument
> in its
> normal tinkliness hanging in the wind with its companions and
> striker/player...:-)

Cool :) I love experimenting with instruments and objects too. I think
I'm the only violinist who bashes the hell out of his violin to get
percussion sounds.... The carbon composite body means that I
theoretically wont damage the violin, but the looks that I get from
other violinists are....er.... one of shock :)

--
Stuart Wyatt (Solo String Project) - http://SoloString.com