Re: First Excursions into Frippertronics

on 11/22/02 9:28 PM, Kim Flint at kflint@loopers-delight.com wrote:

> a. Les Paul in the 50's
>
> Les Paul was using looping in the late 50's (1956?), on tour and doing
>his
> radio shows with Mary Ford and the Les Paulverizer. Certainly they were
> much more commercial than Fripp, although probably not resulting in many
> people becoming loopers due to the prohibitive cost of the equipment at
>the
> time.

I stand corrected.

My problem with the various academic progenitors is that the academic music
community has a tendency toward introversion -- i.e., the music is mostly
heard by other people in the community. This doesn't affect their claim to
being first, but it does leave open the question of who brought the
techniques to a wider audience. Each is valuable in its own right.

I'm still impressed with the tour list on "Let the Power Fall".

Mark