Re: Les Paul was: First Excursions into Frippertronics

I remember seeing Les Paul on the Mike Douglas show, circa 1970, do a
"live looping" performance.

Les started vamping on the guitar, then with a press of a button on the
body of his guitar, would overdub another line. Though I had no interest
in looping at the time, I was wowed by his guitar playing and the sound
he built up.

After his song, I remember him explaining that the device was called the
Les Paulverizer, and that it was backstage, controlled remotely from the
guitar.

So while I agree Fripp was really the one who brought looping into the
public eye, Les Paul's appearing on national TV a decade and a half
earlier is certainly worthy of note.

Mark