[looper's] RE: First Excursions

Dear All,

In a message dated 11/23/02 9:37:49 AM, zvonar@zvonar.com writes:

>Fripp is both a fine guitarist and a master promoter. He has done the
>most to disseminate the compositional use of delay processing and the
>idea of musical soundscape, though of course he invented neither.
>
>I'm personally more interested in where ideas came from than in where
>they ended up, so I tend to trot out the akademic/historic stuff
>whenever the term "Frippertronics" gets bandied about.

I don't think even Señores Fripp and Eno would ever claim to have been
the first to use a tape loop delay -- nor likely even claim to be the best
at it. But the proof of anything ultimately IS in the music itself. After
it's all said and done and sorted out in a couple of hundred years it
won't
matter who was the first "looper." Just who's music is still compelling,
interesting and worth listening to. Does anybody even know the person
who first invented and played a violin? Was their music "the best there
ever was" on that particular instrument -- I doubt it. We probably still
haven't heard all there is to do with "looping" in music yet. I believe
it's
future "golden age" (if it ever enjoys one) is still definitely in the
future.

We're still playing around in "nursery school" for the most part in
regards
to looping. Even the tools are changing and developing to a very great
degree -- from mere delay devices to audio "Cuisinarts" capable of
not only delay but also rearranging and slicing and dicing sound in new,
spontaneous and creative ways. Who knows where it will all go?

Who knows if they even recall any of this in 200 years time. Will the
names Paul, Fripp, Eno, Reich and Riley still be familiar then?  Maybe,
maybe not. I actually rather doubt it. They will likely all be forgotten
except perhaps in academic circles -- somebody will know who was
responsible for the first "loop" and who did the first few decades
of early experiments but will anybody else really care? God knows.

OTOH, I do not at all mean to say that only music that's remembered
200 years from now is valid or good music. Heck, I enjoy what I do
and don't anticipate being known or remembered any further than
a very few of you in this little web community and a small circle of
of other obscure west coast composer/musician friends. Ultimately,
both ways of looking at it are pretty darn narrow . Trying to find and
verify the "firsts" for historical purposes is really only useful for just
that -- historical purposes. Trying to figure out what will still be
appreciated when we're all dust, bones and a few minor footnotes
(if we are really that lucky) requires all too much in the way of augury.

Enjoy and create what you will while you can. This is the only real
validity
of music -- or any artform for that matter. All else is pure vanity.
There should be no embarrassment or shame in NOT being being an
"innovator" or "the first" or even regarded as "the best" or the
"most popular" if you really like what you do. Heck, even if you are
the ONLY one who likes what you do -- that should be enough (though
that can surely be very hard at times, let me tell you). Others will sort
things out "down the line" so-to-speak -- and who knows if they will
be "right" in their assessment.

Live and play now, goddamnit! Just play! Every day lost is just that --
lost.

tEd ® kiLLiAn

http://www.mp3s.com/tedkillian
http://www.pfmentum.com/flux.htm