Re: Les Paul

It's the official "Kim Flint's Once-Per-Month In-Depth and
Philosophically Intriguing Post!"  :)

Kim Flint wrote:

> It also seems entirely possible that he was not looping at all,
> but gave the impression that he was because that was more entertaining.
>  From the audience's perspective that would still be looping, wouldn't
>it?
> They would believe it was looping, so that would have been effectively
> popularizing the concept, even if he was fooling them.

This is such an interesting thing to think about, in light of the recent
thread on whether looping is boring to watch - the idea that someone
would pretend to be doing this specifically BECAUSE it's an engaging
thing for the audience to be watching.

On a Paul-related note, I saw Jon Brion (LA area producer, session
musician, and all-around jaw-dropping talent) a couple of months ago at
his weekly showcase at a club called Largo.  He did a lot of live
looping in his show, with both a Repeater and an EDP.  One of his
patented tricks is having the audience make a request, which he then
pulls off strictly from memory, and he closed his set with an EDP and
guitar piece which he announced as a tribute to Les Paul.  He played the
audience request (a George Harrison tune) in Les' guitar style,
overdubbing numerous layers with the EDP and then playing over the
loops.  It was evidently an homage to the looping which Les may or may
not have actually been doing way back when...

Insert witty and knowing end-of-post comment here,

--Andre LaFosse
http://www.altruistmusic.com