Re: Les Paul

On Saturday, November 23, 2002, at 06:22 PM, Kim Flint wrote:

> But even if his looping was "trickery", a lot of people today use that
> same trick of triggering prerecorded backing samples in real-time to
> play along with and manipulate as part of what they call "looping." So
> it's still a pretty innovative trick. Or to think of it another way, if
> what he actually did was not a pioneering use of "looping", then it was
> a pioneering and popularizing use of "sampling". Either way, he gets
> credit with something.

Someone call Les and let him know he invented sampling too!

Seriously speaking, Kim makes some important points. And bottom line,
the question is always does the result work? Does it move people? That's
certainly another barometer how far something will penetrate into our
culture.

As far as Les goes, I was only about 17 when I saw him and his "Les
Paulverizer" on TV, and at the time knew or cared nothing about Les or
Looping, but decades later I remember it because the music he did was SO
good, whether it was sampling, looping or plain gimmickry…

Now if we can just get the Bing Crosby replacement voice technology into
Loop V: )

Mark