Re: Les Paul

At 7:17 PM -0800 11/23/02, Mark Landman wrote:

>Someone call Les and let him know he invented sampling too!

I think it's pretty clear that sampling was pioneered by the radio
sound effects guys. They used to do some amazing things with
combinations of real noisemakers and recordings. It was common to
have record turntables with more than one tone arm so they could play
several tracks as once.

>As far as Les goes, I was only about 17 when I saw him and his "Les
>Paulverizer" on TV, and at the time knew or cared nothing about Les
>or Looping, but decades later I remember it because the music he did
>was SO good, whether it was sampling, looping or plain gimmickryŠ

My first exposure to overdubbing was a mid-50s Walt Disney program
where Peggy Lee recorded both voices in the Siamese cat duet from
Lady and the Tramp. Avant garde!

>Now if we can just get the Bing Crosby replacement voice technology
>into Loop V: )

Slightly OT, but have you heard John Oswald's Plunderphonic version
of Crosby's "White Christmas"?

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com