Re: Mondo 2000; was Oswald's White Xmas

On Sunday, November 24, 2002, at 01:02 PM, Richard Zvonar wrote:

> At 11:55 AM -0800 11/24/02, Mark Landman wrote:
>
>> [Plunderphonic] falls into the category of things I've wanted to hear
>> for a long time and never quite got around to.
>
> It's available:
>
> http://www.negativland.com/nmol/seeland.html

Thanks, I'll check it out...

>> I used to do a lot of illustration for Mondo 2000
>
> What became of M2000?

A big ugly implosion would be the best description, squabbles and
divisions between key players, poor business practices, some highly
suspect characters brought in to replace some of the original talent.
It's a shame because as silly as M2 could be, they really had something
interesting happening for awhile.

Vaguely Loop oriented content: My personal favorite Mondo illustration
was done for Pamela Z.'s interview w/ Brian Eno, which featured Eno
converted to an immense ancient statue, half buried in the desert. An
"Enomandias" kinda thing...

> At first it seems a fairly simple transformation of the original
> recording - the  pitch wanders erratically all over the place, as if
> the turntable were about to expire (it gives new meaning to the
> "groaner" epithet sometimes applied to Bing and his emulators). Then
> the backup singers come it behind him, and they're dead on pitch while
> Crosby's voice continues to wander. Quite a clever hack.

Sounds interesting, I'm curious how he'd separate the voice from the
backing singers, perhaps the original recording was stereo and allowed
him to use phase tricks to isolate components?

Mark