Re: Looper Construction Kit website open!

> Do you want to temporarily lend it to me, so that I can do the
> exploring for you? :)

feel free to swing by dallas, tx and check it out. lol.

> I've just realised that the Kyma system requires a separate hardware
> accelerator... I cannot find out on their site how much all this setup
> costs.....

i'm not a big fan of the symbolicsound website.
the information is there but you have to look around a lot.

this is from their website:
    Pricing & Availability
        The price for a new Capybara-320 base unit is US $3300
        (includes a 4-processor unit with 4 channels of analog and digital
I/O,
        and external sync inputs and outputs, the Kyma software
environment,
        and your choice of PCI, PC(MCIA), ISA, or NuBUS interface cards).
        Up to 12 expansion cards can be added to the base unit, each of
which
        provides two more DSPs and 48 MB of additional sample RAM for
$595.
        A four channel I/O upgrade is available for $995.

you get to that by clicking brochure (the middle pic on the main page)
then scrolling down the capybara section and clicking the first hyperlink.
then you have to scroll down to pricing. (ugh)

here's a link to their faq:
  http://www.symbolicsound.com/FAQ.html

pretty pricey but not when you consider what you are getting.
for about  the price of 4 edps, you get way more power.
remember, with lck you also get all the native kyma modules
(effects/synthesis/analysis/etc)
kyma is the ultimate gear junky tool.

> I have a feeling that I am about to acquire a huge equipment lust for
> this baby and Dennis' software, which is unhealthy for me at the
> moment, but necessary. I've just re-read parts of the manual, and am
> only just starting to realise the potential of all of this....
>
> *sigh*
>
> Anyone want a spare kidney?

another thing to consider is that it requires a host pc as well.
i still haven't quite worked out how i'm going to fit it into my live rig
the capy is a 3u rack mount device.  i thought of using a rack mount pc,
but now i'm thinking a tablet pc would be the way.
then you get reconfigurable touchscreen interface...