re: my first bad review

Well, when you something to be reviewed, you're asking for an opinion from
an unbiased pair of ears. Unfortunately, if all reviews were positive, the
process would be an empty gesture.

The problem is, there are some bad reviewers out there, who either pan
everything or spend all their time kissing the butts of artists who are
already "hip".

My advice would be to consider his points, determine which of them have
merit, then figure out which of those could be improved, and which ones
can't be fixed without comprimising what's unique about your music.

Also consider that music that requires a technical understanding of the
process (for example, knowing what "looping" is) is often a hard sell to
non-musicians.

Personally, I know most reviewers would rip into my cd's too. The last
time
a record store reviewed one of my cd's, they listened to the first track
and
said, "Ho hum, more digital click-noise."

Having heard a large number of demo cd's given to me by fellow musicians,
the #1 piece of advice I can offer is QUALITY IS BETTER THAN QUANTITY! I
have a number of 70 minute cd's that would get played a lot more if they
were 40-60 minutes of the best tracks of the recording session, rather
than
70-80 minutes of everything the musician has recorded since their last CD.
That makes a BIG difference. It's much better for an audience to listen to
45 minute cd and want to hear more than to listen to a 70 minute cd and
feel
oversaturated.

Matt Davignon