Re: Insert mode on loopers...

At 09:07 PM 11/27/2002, Amleto wrote:
>Hy,
>i was thinking this:
>does anybody know if in any harware looper is there available an insert
>mode, so that while this mode is activated if you press record while a
>loop
>is playing it will insert the new sound in the middle of the loop from
>where
>you started recording? Even if you recorded a silence?
>Also, in every looper i know the lenght of aloop is determined by the
>first
>sound recorded on the empty loop. So, if further you want to record a
>longer
>phrase you can't if not as in repeater by multiplying a track or
>generating
>a silence at is end. Both unfortunately unexact methods, because you can't
>know a priori how long it will be the new pfrase, not if you want to
>improvise quickly.
>Does anybody know if in any looper there is a way to avoid this?

these are basic features of the Gibson Echoplex. More info is on the LD
tools page:

http://www.loopers-delight.com/tools/echoplex/echoplex.html

>Well, also, in repeater there are four track per loop. You can record a
>longer sound at first, on track one, and then a shorte one on track two.
>Supposing they are starting together, the one in track two will end before
>and will have to wait the first one to start again with it. Do you know if
>in repeater or in other loopers or sampler able to have separates tracks
>is
>there a way to let the shorter track reapeat itself just when it ends,
>without waiting the longer one?
>Oh, idea, it could be done by multiplying the shorter track...

Multiply is a common way to do this in real-time, since it is very easy to
manage while you are otherwise playing something else. This functio is
very
simple to do in the echoplex. It is also possible in the repeater, but not
so easy to use in real time. In either case the two elements need to have
an integer ratio between them.

>ps: is there another hardware looper able to control separately many
>tracks
>as repeater does?

DJRND has many more tracks than Repeater:
http://www.loopers-delight.com/tools/DJRND3/DJRND3.html

but I don't think it has an Insert or Multiply function.

kim