Re: improv with others

At 06:40 PM 11/27/2002 -0800, Mark wrote:
>I'm not sure what a "sidstation" is,

Remember the old Commodore C-64, and what a great sound chip it had for
its
time?  A couple years back, a little startup synth manufacturer out of
Sweden (Elektron) came up with the idea of building a real working synth
around that very same sound chip.  They started grabbing up the remaining
supply of the existing MOS6581 (SID) chips, and putting them together in a
case with a dedicated synthesizer control architecture around them.  You
can check it out over at http://www.sidstation.com.

>but let me tell you, the AdrenaLinn is an
>instrument level device.  I have it almost all the way down and my
>Steinberger
>is nearly clipping the input on loud strums.  One of the dissapointments
>is
>that it wasn't line level.  However, it will do line level out.

Whup, sounds like that's one I'm going to have to watch out for.  This
thing is line level out and it is *hot*.  I may have to rig up some gear
(i.e. compressor) in between the two in order to prevent distortion on the
input of the AdrenaLinn.

>I think the amp models are pretty good, but need some tweaking and sound
>a bit
>better before a guitar amp IMO.  I mostly use it for the filters and
>modulation
>effects and in that respect, it's quite the amazing beast.  Lot's of room
>for
>mangleage.

Mangleage is always good (very good -- heh!).  But I'm hoping for
something
that can help me get a leash on this little beast as well.  The Sidstation
can be amazingly subtle, but just as often it can slice through a mix like
a hot knife melting butter.  And here I used to think of the old Arp's
(like the Odyssey or Axxe) as being good for piercing leads.  My Sid can
make those synths look downright tame in comparison.

In addition to the most excellent filter and mod effects, I was hoping the
AdrenaLinn's amp models might be able to warm up the sound a bit, and add
some grundge without lapsing over into "bumblebee"-territory fuzz (i can
already add some distortion by overdriving the internal circuitry, but
that
pushes the sidstation even further into glass-cutting territory; i'm
looking instead for a bit of warm crunch).

Oh, and how well does the AdrenaLinn's built-in noise gate work?  One of
the unfortunate side-effects of the Sid chip is that it's notorious for
digital noise (i.e. the envelopes close all the way down, yet you can
still
hear the sound in the background).  Elektron has done a lot to mitigate
this through the rest of the box (it's dead silent compared to the old
C-64's themselves), but even they recommend a noise gate to deal with this
final bit of digital dirt.

>The only reason I sold mine is because my Lexicon MPX1 really does
>more of what I needed it to do, and I don't care about the drum machine
>and amp
>models.

Hey, thanks bunches for helping me out even though I know you've already
sold your AdrenaLinn.  Otherwise, I've merely seen the specs and a couple
of reviews.  But after reading the feature set (gate + amp models + wicked
filters + FX) it seemed as if it might be a good match for a dedicated
processor on the Sidstation.

Thanks again!

         -c-

_____
"i want to reach my hand into the dark and *feel* what reaches back"
                                                 -recoil