SV: Quantize=8th...

> Från: Steve Lawson [mailto:steve@steve-lawson.co.uk]

> you done any polyrythmic stuff with switching 8th=? during a
> piece - any conceptual ideas to pass on?

Hi Steve,

Yes, I've been playing around with this a lot lately. I have programmed
a foot controller to change presets in the EDP and most presets are
similar except for the 8th/cycle setting. It's sooo fun ;-) Had me
staying up all night just doing "quantized replace" by 8 8th/cycle and
then changing to 12 8th/cycle and replacing segments on top of that. You
can do any polyrhythmes with this technique.

If you are slaving other midi gear to the EDP, all slaves will play at
half tempo when you dive into half speed mode with the EDP, which might
be cool but not always desirable. The other night this workaround came
into my mind:

Program the FCB button you are using for "half speed" (in 8 8th/cycle)
to also call up the EDP program with 16 8th/cycle and then program the
"full speed" FCB button to also call up the 8 8th/cycle EDP program.
This will have all slaved midi gear stay at the same tempo while you go
in and out of half and full speed mode. Just imagine the grooves you can
get from doing "quantized replace" on sixteenths at half speed mode and
then returning to full speed, thus kicking those things up one octave!
This is a killer feature IMHO ;-)

Best wishes

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se