[looper's]Looping a gimmick?

I had my first live performance that included looping last night.  It was
with a band heavily influenced by the Chicago post rock scene.   I  was
talking to a fellow afterwards and he said it was like a mix of Bill
Frisell and the Chicago scene. The thing is, I don't sound anything like
Bill Frisell. Does everyone who loops guitar automatically sound like Bill
Frisell?    I figured the guy was just trying to let me know he was down
with the whole looping thing but it got me thinking.  Does anyone here
have problem with people thinking looping is a gimmick? Like it's just
another effect pedal that can easily over used.  I've always thought of
loopers more as their own instruments rather then just an effect pedal.
Mark

Free 20MB Web Site Hosting and Personalized E-mail Service!
Get It Now At Doteasy.com http://www.doteasy.com/et/