Re: Quantize=8th...

Damn, Steve, you're gonna pull me out of retirement...!

Steve Lawson wrote:

> I'm just getting into it, especially in replace mode - have you done any
> polyrythmic stuff with switching 8th=? during a piece

I personally haven't, but if you're interested in 8th-quant polyrhythms,
try this on for size:

1) Plug a pedal into the feedback hack
2) Set Insertmode to Substitute
3) Set Interface mode (under "loop/delay" parameters) to either Stutter
or Replace

The reason for number 3 is that, because the pedal controls feedback in
these modes, the actual front panel knob becomes a "Substitute Feedback"
control.  Which simply means that you can adjust how much of the
original loop will still be heard when using Substitute.

If you turn the front feedback knob all the way to the left, then
Substitute will cover up all of the original material in the loop.  If
you turn it all the way to the right, then Substitute basically becomes
Overdub -  you can still hear the original material in the loop after
you perform the Substitute function.

So, you could lay down a 4/4 groove in a single-cycle loop, and then set
8th/cycle to, say, 5.  If you start doing 8th-quantized Substitute
business with the front Feedback knob full right, then you'll get these
5:4 polyrhythms happening, but it'll be a truly audible polyrhythm,
because you'll still be able to hear the original loop content (because
you turned the Feedback knob all the way to the right in Stutter or
Replace mode).

Jesus, that reads a lot more complex than it actuall is, I promise.

> - any conceptual ideas to pass on?

Me?  Conceptual ideas?  What on Earth are you talking about?!  Now if
you'd asked for good beer recommendations...

- I like using 8th-quant with Substitute a lot, because it's a very
surprising, subtle, and smooth way of changing things.  You can play
stuff into the EDP and not have any idea how it's going to sound until
you hear it back.  But because 8th-quant is on, it will automatically
have a highly rhythmic quality.  Kind of like giving glitch-core a nice
suit and a haircut.  (Can you tell I need to get out of the house more?
And get a haircut?)

It's particularly cool if you set the 8th/cycle value to a higher value
than you could realistically play in real time, i.e. putting 8th/cycle
to 16 at a tempo where one cycle = 180 BPM or so.

- Use some variation when you're doing 8th-quant stuff.  Hold the
replace button down for different lengths of time to introduce some
variation in the length of the replace/substitute action, to get away
from the "step sequencer" feel, and try adding a few drops of silence by
hitting the button without playing anything into it.

Or try doing lots of replace/substitute in one part of a loop, but
leaving the rest of the loop unaltered, for a sort of post-Timbaland
start-stop effect.  (Dude, I'm giving away all my good tricks here...)

- Like Per said, 8th-quant in conjunction with changing speed is a lot
of fun.

> I'm kind of experimenting with glitchy FSU stuff at the moment,

You're well on your way to being the first guy to open for both Level 42
and Autechre...

> but wondering about more predictable processes and outcomes...

...which is interesting to hear you say, since I find 8th-quant most
useful for UN-predictable outcomes.  It does impose a more assuredly
rhythmic effect, but I find that when I know precisely what I want to do
with Replace stuff, I like having Quantize off, because I can be more
accurate and exact with the way I use it.

8th-quant is like automatic transmission, and unquantized is like
driving a stick.

> Anyone with an EDP who hasn't got Loop IV yet, you are missing out on so
> many very very cool features... get it, and let the features teach you
>some
> new stuff... :o)

True dat.  And mad props to Andy Butler for coming up with 8th-quant in
the first place.

As is horribly apparent by now, I'm in very dire need of a brisk walk
and a cup of coffee...

Most best,

--Andre LaFosse
The Echoplex Analysis Pages: