Re: adrenaLinn for synths

At 12:31 PM 11/29/2002 -0800, Mark wrote:
>That sounds like a cool device!  My pal Keith would love something like
>that, as he
>was an early adopter of the Commodore64 for synthesis.

The Sidstation is definitely the top-rung of the bunch for 6581/8580
synthesis, especially since it's the only freestanding solution I know
of.  However, it's also the most expensive.  So, there are a couple of
other options your buddy might be interested in knowing about as well.  If
he's using a PC for music/sound, have him check out
http://www.hardsid.com.  The HardSid is a PC card that acts as a Sid host
card.  If I remember correctly, the original HardSid (single Sidchip
version) is only about 90 bucks.  That doesn't actually include the Sid
chip, though.  Or if he's into VSTi's (PC or Mac), there's a Sid emulator
put out by ReFX (http://www.refx.net) called QuadraSid.  It's not quite
the
same as having a real 6581 chip, but it's a pretty interesting virtual
instrument nonetheless.

>Well, if you've got noise issues, I'd for sure steer clear of the
>AdrenaLinn,
>because you're going to have to make sure it's output is low, as to not
>distort the
>AdrenaLinn's input.

Hrm, not certain if it's going to be quite the issue, since it's not
conventional noise.  Rather than normal ambient circuit hiss, this is more
the type noise as, "my finger's not on the keyboard anymore so why can I
still hear that last note, @#$%! it!"  But if I can get something in
between there to match the output, as you suggested, the AdrenaLinn's
noise
gate might be able to handle it...

...or maybe not.  ;)

>Upon hearing all that you've said, I wonder if maybe the Electrix MoFX and
>Filterfactory might be a better solution for what you're craving.

I hadn't considered the MoFX, and will now take a much closer look into
that one.  I've been concentrating quite a bit on "models" lately.  For
instance, I've been trying to tweek mic models in lieu of using EQ on some
of my digitally recorded tracks.  The philosophy being that a model will
respond more dynamically to level changes than would a straight
EQ.  Likewise, my thoughts were that an "amp model" would be superior to a
distortion & EQ for adding warmth/crunch.  Or that's how it looks on
paper,
anyhow <insert huge disclaimer here>.

Another option is that I've an old Korg A3 back in the studio that I could
probably pull off the Matrix 1000 to which it's dedicated.  However, it's
bloody big (even as rack units go) and I'm not really certain how I'd find
room for it in the rack.  One of the things I liked about the AdrenaLinn
was getting all those functions together in a single small
(stompbox-sized)
widget that I could just throw on a desk next to the Sidstation.

Since you mentioned it, I've already got one of the Line6 Filter Pro's
installed into my rig.  As to how it sounds, I'd say that overall, if you
were to match them up head-to-head with the originals, no single algorithm
is as good as the individual device it was modelled after.  However,
getting almost twenty different models in a single box that are each about
90% of the original -- and all for a price less than any single one of
those vintage and hard-to-find instruments -- now that's a really good
deal.

Finally, a couple of guys on the Elektron list have been raving about the
results from having put their Sidstations through the external inputs on
the new Dave Smith Evolver (http://www.davesmithinstruments.com).  I've
tried similar experiments by routing outboard signals through some of my
other synths' filters, however.  I've never really been impressed by the
results, unfortunately (aside: back in the early 80's my whole rig
consisted of a little Casio MT routed through the filter on a MiniMoog.
it
sounded fantastic, and just shows that if you get the right combination
the
sound can be utterly gorgeous).  The Evolver can do some really neat stuff
it's own right, but it's nearly twice the price of the AdrenaLinn.  Ah,
well...

So, in closing, thanks for suggesting the MoFX.  I'm going to have to take
a hard look at whether that might be the ticket.  The only catch is, of
course, the fact that Electrix is no more and I'm going to need to find a
used one someplace to try it out.  <*sigh*>  I think we've all lamented
over that particular situation quite a bit, however.

Thanks again!

         -c-
_____
"i want to reach my hand into the dark and *feel* what reaches back"
                                                 -recoil