Re: Laptop Looping via MAX/MSP

Dear Lou,

While I prefer using the Echoplex Digital Pro for looping, I've began
using Max/MSP this summer with a PowerBook, and the Tascam US428 USB
interface.

I don't know of any retail outlets for Max/MSP. I only saw Cycling 74's
Pluggo listed in the Sweetwater catlog.

I guess that since Max/MSP is a programming environment, there's
probably less interest in it across the larger music software market.
You trade off versatility for a steep learning curve. If you're familar
with working on old analog modulkar synths, you can grasp the concept
easily.

Simply downloading the 30-day demo, or purchasing it, direct from
Cycling 74 may be the only answer.

The folks who run Cycling 74 are very helpful. I think of Max/MSP users
as a community rather than a market.

The Tascam US428 is 4in/2out, mixing surface controller with 8 faders,
MIDI i/o that will work Max/MSP. So far, I've only cobbled together a
patch that allows me use the US428 faders to send control the parameters
of a filter patch, which I was using to process the output of a Echoplex
loop.

I hope this helps....

Eric
--
Upcoming Performances & Events: http://pages.ripco.net/~eleon/whatsnew.html

Dec. 3, 23.30—00.00 London Time/5:30—6:00PM Chicago Time. OUT OF THE
BLUE RADIO on Resonance FM. 104.4 FM: http://www.l-m-c.org.uk/
(streamed). Leonardson's binaural soundscape of Wicker Park studio
environs.

Dec. 14 with Jim Meneses, Toshi Makihara, and films by Peter Rose at
TRITONE, 1508 South St., Philadelphia

Home page: http://pages.ripco.net/~eleon