Re: Update on Looping Hardware

On Wednesday, December 4, 2002, at 06:44 PM, Ernie Mansfield wrote:

> Specifically I am looking for hardware that would be low-noise, full
> frequency range, as I am working with acoustic instruments and
> microphones.

Welcome to the list :)

The information on LD is a little old, but that is because there has
not been a lot of hugely new developments in looping equipment over the
past couple of years. The last piece of dedicated kit designed for the
average budget was the now defunct Electrix Repeater.

If you can afford it, try getting both an EDP and a Repeater. I have
the latter, but wish for the former as well. The two from what I have
heard work in beautiful harmony together.

At the moment, the only other option for pro live looping is the Kyma
system, but it falls out of most people's budget at about $3500 for the
basic setup, plus another $300 for the looping software. If money is no
object, then I'd seriously search the LD archives for more info about
the Kyma and Dennis' software.

At the lower end of the market, check out the Line6 DL4 - I have used
it with microphones, and have performed most of my music using a single
DL4 pedal. It seems to have a good frequency range, and is noiseless -
especially when run on batteries (30 hours use on a good set of
alkalines)....

Thats my 0.2cents. I'm sure that I've missed something, and other
people will have other ideas.... (dont flame me guys)  :)

Good luck.

--
Stuart Wyatt (Solo String Project) - http://SoloString.com