Re: archiving methods

I totally agree.  If something is worth keeping to you (or someone else) it
will be far better to transfer an intact digital copy to a new medium than
it
would be to take a brittle tape and force it to loose yet another
generation.
The stuff that doesn't make it to the new medium... well you lose it.  Is
that
so bad?  Do we need everything?  More often than not, I trash a loop after
I'm
done playing.  If I saved every loop I ever made, I'd  have so much it
would be
totally unwieldy, and it would end up like having nothing.

I forget his name, but I love to quote one of the first developers of the
"Hypertext" concept.  He had (has?) a condition where he retained a perfect
memory about everything and it was slowly driving him insane.  He said, (I
paraphrase) "Remembering everything is curiously similar to forgetting
everything."

Mark Sottilaro