Re: [looper's]OT RE: A>D

----- Original Message -----
From: <goddard.duncan@mtvne.com>
> >>I don't know of any DAT machine that has limiting.  (That doesn't mean
>there
> aren't any.)<<
>
> most of the portables I've seen have a limiter.

Ah!  There you have it.  I've never owned a portable nor have I
investigated
their specs/features.  (I looked at their prices and decided the
cost/benefit
ratio was too high for me.  Stopped me right there!)  Thanks for the
education.

>but analogue systems of any sort are capable of rendering short duration
transients and overshoots far in excess of this, and the different ways
they do
it tend to define, to some extent, their characteristic sound. 1/4" tape
is a
good example.

I suppose different DAT recorders' limiters might have unique
characteristic
sounds, too.  So long as you don't hit the limiters too hard or with long
duration events, they might be mostly inobtrusive?

Cheers,

Bill