fripp'n'frisell

At 02:37 PM 12/11/2002 -0500, Louie Angulo wrote:

One of my quests is still to mix all my loopers and
digital rack gear with my favorite stomp boxes mainy
compressors fuzzboxes and wahs but as i hooked them up
in the back of the external control jacks from my
roland GP100 preamp i noticed that it changes their
tone quality. [snip]
<

hey louie
here's $.02 -
maybe it's just me (and really, what isn't when you get right down to it)
but i could swear i've noticed many times that "9-volt-ization" has a way
of making things sound tiny - especially in a recording context, less so
thru an amp but still can happen... even your biggest baddest
shred-o-stompbox just kinda makes things sound dinky sometimes. i might
suggest that you make a few tests, switching the order of the boxes around
and seeing if that ekes out a bit more, er, bollusks for ya. i use an
_awful_ lot of boxes and it took awhile (and in one or two cases blatant
neglect of the manufacturer's suggested application) til i got it.... to
where i just couldn't take switching them around anymore and decided
"stick, dealer".

and then

At 02:37 PM 12/11/2002 -0500, kirkland mack wrote:

Which tunes does Bill Frisell do looping stuff on? I'm looking for some
recommended listening.
<

having been a fris feak since way longer than i like to own up to being
alive for i'd have to say it's awfully tough to know when he's doing what
at all. the guy's style is so fluid, his moves are so discreet, and at
times it looks like he's just plugged straight into the amp (or two
amps...) maybe he's figured some kinda guitar-version of circular
breathing.....

anyway i would heartily concur - ANY frisell is good frisell, much is
great
frisell, and you will be rewarded many times over whatever you pick - BUT
BE AWARE: his range of styles is VAST. his live trio stuff with joey baron
and kermit driscoll _in no way_ resembles his renderings of shenandoah, or
which are not too much at all like his renderings of sousa or the
costello/bacharach tunes... etc. except - in some way, it's ALL him and
it's always unmistakable.

how does he DO that ???!?? beats the cwap out of me.

anyway, why i mention it is, if you get a bf record and it doesn't grab
you, try another one. KEEP the first one, come back to it in 6 months and
prepare to have your head screwed on backwards... or not, depending.

i say, clear off a good 7 or 8 inches of shelf space and start collecting.

funny thing about seeing him play - he spends a lot of time with one hand
on the tuning machines, seems like he's constantly making minute
adjustments of some kind or other. either the poor man has absolute pitch
(i can only imagine what horror life must be for those who do) or
"he-has-a-thing-he-does-that-makes-that-sound".

ok, how long has it been? like it was last night i recall sitting on the
floor at roulette, watching him play a round of cobra with (against?) fred
frith, john zorn, arto lindsay, david moss and shelly hirsch. and
wondering
"who's the awesome new guy with the slinky sound and the glasses?"

a:c