RE: [looper's] RE: where is the looper in this picture?

Title: RE: [looper's] RE: where is the looper in this picture?

>>So, is this mixing desk a submixer in your own setup,
or do you control an onstage mix of all three
R.M.I.ists through it?<<

bit of both, tim. the rig will be different everytime, depending how much room we will have and how far we have to move the stuff to get to where the gig is at. so the sets we just did in the US, I took very little gear (emu audity and alesis s4 for all the electronic sounds, inc own mellotron samples on the s4 ram card- we had bad luck w/ syquest drives in our emu samplers so I blew them out).

there was a repeater, a jam man, the doepfer maq sequencer, the notron sequencer, an alesis mmt8, two evolution controller keyboards with these little white led's on goosenecks and each with a doepfer pocket controller mounted. all the 9V and 5V stuff was powered down the midi cables from a single switch-mode psu (I know, but it works...).

and a guitar and a bass, and then the fender VI I bought in philadelphia.

gary has a "power train" pedal board, with a briefcase and psu. he sits all his favourite pedals in this thing and the psu runs them all (ac, dc, whatever) without even getting warm. (we had to get an upconverter from a rat shack in LA). it has a setting so that you can run a fuzzbox off reduced volts for extra crunch. it runs the line6 and the jam man without problems. I looked inside it- it's a regular transformer with a selection of regulators; just brick-outhouse engineering, really, nothing clever.

the mixer was going to be a soundcraft folio but there were psu issues (they wanted $80 for a 110V version) and then it was going to be our old boss bx16 but that was too shit. so we used a roland vm3100. memories, built-in effects, digtal output. if only it had more analogue ins..... 12 isn't enough.

normally, gary has his own rig, inc jam man and dl4, through a guitar amp, and I'll either mic this up or take a line out from the dl4 or the jam man as a sniff into the main desk. that way, I can grab bits of what he's doing and mess with them, or he can discreetly request that I take a copy of the phrase running in the jam man so he can ditch it and start again or so we can do a tempo change.

for the philadelphia gig and radio show, however, we borrowed an H&K guitar amp simulator and ran it straight into the vm3100 (which has one high-z input, btw). this was deeply unsatisfactory for gary who needs a bit of separation to hear himself properly, but it sounded ok.

we've always done this "mix everything to two-track" thing and seldom use m/track unless there's bass and drums involved aswell. all the albums to date are two-track masters, with maybe a few overdubs where gary couldn't be at the same session. and it's only recently that steve and I have stopped swapping places on stage- we used to share the keyboards and move around, but it bothered people for some reason.

as for "controlling the mix"- it's a self-regulating democracy, our band! the faders tend to stay in a straight line and we use midi volume controls for the sequencer and keyboard parts.

the evolutions are modified so that a volume pedal can be plugged straight in the back, and the onboard volume control then adjusts the upper limit of the pedal, returning to it's normal function when the pedal is unplugged. why oh why aren't they like this when you buy them? god knows it's simple enough......

duncan/r.m.i.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user
of the e-mail address to which it was addressed, and may also
be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may
not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it
in any form whatsoever.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please e-mail the sender
by replying to this message.

MTV reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications from
external/internal sources for the purposes of ensuring correct
and appropriate use of MTV communication equipment.

MTV Networks Europe