[looper's] RE: mathematic processes & tone clock

Title: [looper's] RE: mathematic processes & tone clock

>>i definitely make the distinction between math and numerology in the same way i make the distinction between astronomy and astrology. apple and oranges. =-) PJ<<

hmm.... I'd quite like you to elaborate, but fear we'd become unpopular w/ the list for veering OT into semantics.

for me, math(s) and numerology are related in the same way as, say, locomotive engineering and trainspotting. that is to say, one is a detailed knowledge of the nuts and bolts, the intimate workings, quite possibly at the expense of a sense of the purpose of that engineering- too close to the workings to see the bigger picture.... while the other is a great deal of enthusiasm and curiosity eclipsing the business of getting better acquainted with the facts.

returning to our musical context, I recall frank zappa's comments on the difference between a musician and a composer, and my own feelings about highly paid orchestral players who actually have a lot less to contribute musically than a kid with a strat who's learned three chords. somewhere in the middle is where the ideal lies- true understanding of one's subject, but without taking all the mystery/fun/soul/whatever out of it.

duncan/r.m.i.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user
of the e-mail address to which it was addressed, and may also
be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may
not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it
in any form whatsoever.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please e-mail the sender
by replying to this message.

MTV reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications from
external/internal sources for the purposes of ensuring correct
and appropriate use of MTV communication equipment.

MTV Networks Europe